Smoky Pumpkin Beer & Cheddar Potato Soup with Candied Bacon Popcorn- Vegan Option Available
Recipe & Photo Credit by Tieghan Gerard
(We've noted vegan substitutes below so all can enjoy this holiday treat)
This week we're indulging and my excuse is the spooky, scary holiday! It's Halloween and we're inspired by Tieghan Gerard and pumpkins everywhere!
Tieghan Gerard, creator of Half Baked Harvest, took the regular ole jack-o-latern and turned it into a hearty soup and the key ingredients beer and pumpkin (two fall favorites)!
The Smoky Pumpkin Beer & Cheddar Potato Soup with Candied Bacon Popcorn, bursting with flavor! The sweetness of the pumpkin is complemented with chipotle spices and the creamy potato's partner in crime is the candied bacon.
This soup is a winner with both children and adults and is a great way to make use of all those beautiful pumpkins left over from the holiday. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, creamy, cheesy, decorated with a sprinkle of popcorn, candied bacon and a little extra cheese...for good measure.
If your friends are anything like mine, they'll be coming up for seconds and even trying to sneak inline for thirds.
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegan substitute: coconut infusions butter)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 potato, peeled + diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups of your favorite pumpkin beer
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetarian substitute: unchicken broth)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1-2 chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk (vegan substitute: Organic Creamed Coconut Milk)
- 1 cup smoked gouda, shredded (vegan substitute: Ste Martaen Vegan Cheese Alt)
- 1 cup smoked cheddar, shredded (vegan substitute: Daiya cheese shreds)
- 4 slices thick cut, smoked bacon, chopped (Vegetarian substitute: Vegan Bacon Bits)
- 1/2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-5 cups air or stove popped popcorn
- salt, to taste